Friday, December 17, 2010

How to lose 20 pounds and Keep them OFF.



One of the best feelings is realizing you have lost weight and look absolutely fabulous. I remember the day I realized I lost 10+ pounds. I had just gotten out the shower and was getting ready to head out, I looked at my body on the mirror and realized I looked thinner. Then I pulled out my fave pair of skinny jeans (Yall know which one am talking about, the one that you have been saving for when you lost those extra pounds, because you simply could not let go. Yes, that one) and to my surprise it fit a lil big. I did not know what to do with myself, I kept of admiring my body thinking to myself, "Girl, you look great!." After 20 minutes of much needed self love, I decided to get dressed and actually head out. A few days later I got on the scale to see how much weight I lost (I was thinking about 15pounds) and was thrilled to learn I had lost 22pounds.

So, how did I lose those unwanted 22pounds? For starters, I didnt even know I needed to lose 22 pounds or in the words of my bff, that I had 22 pounds to lose. My cousin convinced to start competing in the body fitness category of body building and gave me a few tasks. First, she told to cut some things out my diet. It doesn't matter how much you workout, the faster way to see results is by having a balanced diet.

Here are some of my new do's and don'ts.
  • Fruits (I usually have one for breakfast every morning, and as a snack I love green apples and mandarines).
  • If you have a specific type of food you simply cannot stop eating, find healthier ways to cook it. (for example, I love sweet plantains, now instead of frying them, I boil them. Is not the same but I am satisfied.)
  • Try healthier meals. If you like to eat fish, or seafood try grilling, and steaming. Both methods are healthier and in some cases faster.
  • Try not to eat out often. Sometimes when we eat out, we venture into foods we should stay away from, the best thing to do is treat yourself once in a while.
  • No rice, no fried foods, no sodas, and little to no juice. (I really keep these things to a minimum, they have a lot of calories and should be eaten in moderation. I do drink juice but water is my first choice.)
  • It is important that you eat three times a day and have your snacks in between. Keep your metabolism busy with smaller portions.
  • Alcohol (I am a social drinker and some days I feel like I need a drink to unwind. However, I limit myself to a glass of wine or two a week. I stay away from mixed drinks and hard liquor.)
  • Run. I did not start running until my last year in college. Once I got to Honduras I found out I was doing it wrong (who would have thought there was a proper way to run? yea me either). I started running on the tracks by my house, and at first I could only handle running one lap and walking the next. Now, I can run 12 laps non-stop on the 8th lane which is roughly about 4 miles. I really try to do this a minimum of 3 times a week, some weeks are better than others but this has been a major part of my weight loss.
  • I also have a workout routine, that doesn't require a gym. All I use are a set of 10 pounds weights, some stairs and a chair (let me know if you want me to share it with you.)
These are some of the key elements of my weight loss. The best way to keep the way off is to maintain your routine. Once you change your diet, your body will demand that you eat healthier, and maintain the changes. Do not stop working out, and dieting. Loosing weight and keeping it off, requires that you change your lifestyle. If I can do it, you can do it. Please post comments and suggestions!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

no rice??????? thats hard!!! and whats the proper way to run? lol! And I didnt know liqour made you fat. After drinking It always made me go to the bathroom!

DCBuppie said...

RICE is dumb hard. I loves it but. I feel you. I teeter totter 10 lbs from my goal weight depending on season. This is awesome. I am trying to focus on muscle and try yoga and pilates

Ms.DulceDeLeche said...

@Anonymous Yes drinking leads to weight gain specially mix drinks because of all the sugar. Just think about the beer bellies. You supposed to run with your front sole not your toes or heel base.

@DCBuppie Rice was the hardest bc is so convenient and easy to make. But deft helps when you stop eating so much of it. I feel you on the yoga and pilates am trying to get into that here because is very good for core strength. Right now I want to lose 10 more pounds and then is straight toning!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know what workout you use at home. I'm still in Rochester, NY and it's cold out but that's not an excuse when I could be exercising at home. Please let know. Also how do you keep your hair looking good while running so much? I thought the sweat would make it harder to upkeep

Ms.DulceDeLeche said...

Yes. Working out makes my hair sweat and it is alot of work lol. I wash it atleast twice a week and have to style to taste. Since my hair is natural sometimes, i braid it into curls, other times i do take the time to straighten it and other times i just wear it in a bun. You have to find what works for you, but because I run and I have to take care of my hair, naturally it is growing faster and stronger. It takes more work but it definitely worth it.

The work out:

After I run my 3 - 4miles (preferably 4 times a week) I split my week in half. Two days I work on my arms and the other two days I work on my legs.

Arm:
-4 sets of 20 of the following
-Biceps curls
-Triceps Kickback
-Overhead Tricep Extensions
-Shoulders dumb-bell press
-Double Arm Dumb-Bell push press

Leg (If you have stairs in your building, I suggest going up and down on the a minimum of three times. U should use your stairs to do Tuck Jumps, it is a lil challenging but it is very good for your legs)

4 sets of 20 of the following:
-leg swings (left, right, front, and back)
-Do a minimum of 100 Side Bends with a stick (broom sticks are good)
-Lunge (do the left leg and the right leg)

(Just google all these exercises and it will show you a picture of what it is and how it is done.)

Good Luck and Keep me updated on your progress!